So, the last sprint has now been completed and a reflection shall be made across the whole team project.
From the last sprint, I felt that I achieved the task that was assigned to quite well. It was an interesting contrast for me as compared to the previous sprint as I got to use threads. I learned quite a lot about threads and IPC from Kamil as he showed me how to use his template code. It was interesting for me to be to prove that I could understand and use the threading to output functional values for the servo team(s). I felt that we accomplished what we set out to achieve and although there were issues in the first and second sprints, the end result was pretty cool!!!
I learned a lot throughout the lampbotics project on teamwork. To be part of a team that works well together, is definitely a lot better than working as an individual or not participating at all. When a group of engineers and computer scientists get together, and work on something like this, it is very satisfying to be a part of it. Let's face it no one person can change the world, but a group could do just that :)
From a technical standpoint, the last sprint was definitely more technical for me. To switch over from the building of the base, to working on developing a highly useful and functional thread was a bit daunting at first, but I caught up very quick.
The threading system that was used was very easy to grasp and utilise. Kamil made it so that someone who hadn't used threads in second sprint (i.e. myself), could very quickly set up the template and start to write the necessary code. The thread that I designed, I am pleased to say worked very well with the face detection and the video at the end of the sprint shows this.
From using threads and IPC, it is easy to see how many applications of an RTOS could used.
From the final sprint, I observed that teamwork on the project improved drastically. Everyone came together to integrate all the required threads. Myself and Phil worked well as a team as we managed to get our threads working together fairly quickly (with only a few puzzling moments along the way). I think that because everyone banded together as a team, the atmosphere changed when we were working. Sure, we had a lot of pressure on us and each person understood there duties, but I think we all became more relaxed and enthusiastic about working on the project. It was fun working with this team, as I get to know some new people and make new friends which is always enjoyable!!
In this sprint, project management became a critical focus. Due to the pressures of delivering the project, each task was required to have certain priorities. I tip my hat to Dave and Luke for essentially being project managers for this sprint as they really stepped up to ensure everyone either had their threads complete and integrated, or were working and getting their threads finished.
Project management is a highly useful ability in an engineering world as a good project manager can basically get the product finished and shipped out the door. Communication is the key to this. If a manager was not liked by his/her team, difficulties are obviously going to arise. In this project, however, this was not the case. I feel that due to the way the project was managed, it made everyone of us proud to be working on the project and eager to get the finished result.
By participating in a team based project and getting it to work so successfully, I would like to work in a team based environment. The atmosphere throughout the project was pleasant (even under pressure). By doing this kind of module, I think every engineer grows and learns to let go of being set in their ways. It's only through communication with others that you start to see the bigger picture.
I highly enjoyed the module, I thought it was a very interesting project to work, and I'm glad I got to work with such a great gang (If I'm honest, I'm going to miss you!)
Good luck boys,
Joe Blog #9